If you are using assistive technology and are unable to read any part of the Creativemail.com website, or otherwise have difficulties using the Creativemail.com website, please call 844-217-8756 and our customer service team will assist you.
PlansBlogSuggestion BoxStart Free

How to launch a first email campaign using Creativ.eMail

How to create your first email campaign

If you’re like 99.99% of people, you aren’t a professional email marketer. That’s fine. We’re here to make sure you have all the tools you need to create and send your first (of many) successful email campaigns. Blog posts and newsletters are the most popular type of emails for our customers to send, so we created this blog with those kinds of campaigns in mind. But these steps will also help you create more effective announcement emails, event notifications, product shares, and postcard campaigns.

1. Don't stress

Seriously. The first email campaign might feel like a huge deal (and it is), but this is going to be the first of many many email campaigns you send as your business grows. This email is a chance to say “hello.” You’re already an expert in that.

2. Pick a topic

This is your first email campaign, so picking the topic this time is easy: this is your official email introduction to your audience. If this is your first time communicating with your audience, tell them what you do and why they should stay connected. If you’ve already been using social media, a blog, or even snail mail to keep in contact with these folks, let them know what to expect from your email campaigns. Give them a good reason to keep opening your emails. Will there be special offers? Information that they'll want? Exclusive deals or access? Leave them with the expectation of more good things to come.

3. Create the content

There is a lot to say about creating email content. (There are entire books on the subject.) For your first email campaign, let’s keep things simple: Use this a chance to help your audience get to know you and to get them excited about seeing your emails in their inbox.

Think about what you want them to know, feel, or think about. Think about the action you want them to take. Then create an outline to organize what you’ll say. Add images that backup your message and start filling in your outline. Make it easy for people to take the action you want them to take. That might mean adding a button so they can click through to your website or giving them clear instructions on what they should do next. Tell them to set up an appointment, visit your brick-and-mortar location, donate to a cause, or sign up for more info. It’s up to you.

Finish with a subject line that is helpful and eye-catching enough to get people to open your email. If they don’t open it, they can’t read it. 

4. Proofread and revise

Take time to read what you’ve written (out loud is best) and ask yourself if what you’ve written is on-brand for your business. Proofread carefully (or better yet, have someone else proofread for you). Once you hit send, those emails are permanent, so plan time for editing and revisions.

5. Create your first email list

Since this is your first campaign and will mostly be an introductory “hello,” this email is probably general enough to send to your whole audience without breaking it up into small, targeted groups.

However, it is a good idea to send your campaign to a test group (maybe 10% of your list) to see how it’s received. That gives you a chance to address any feedback, adjust your message, or make edits before sending it to the remaining 90%.

6. Send it & celebrate

You’ve got this. You’ve created a great email, edited it, maybe sent it to a portion of your list for testing, made improvements, and now you’re ready to hit the send button. You’re taking a big step. Email is one of the best ways to grow your business. It’s how you’ll start conversations and keep your audience engaged. Nice work.

7. Observe your data and keep improving

Sending your first email campaign is a massive accomplishment. It’s also a great chance to learn. Pay attention to how your audience reacts. How many people opened your email? How many people clicked through to your website or took the action you wanted them to take? Look for opportunities to improve so your future email campaigns get more and more effective.

Easier WordPress Email Marketing

Our intelligent (and super fun) email editor simplifies email creation and pulls your WordPress blog posts, website images and WooCommerce products right into your email content. Leads from your WordPress website, ecommerce store and contact forms are automatically captured and routed into our included Contacts CRM and synced with your email marketing lists.

Start marketing with email